All the inept town supervisor, Paula Mahan, and the inept Colonie Town Board want is the revenue in order to hide their fiscal ineptitude.If the person or persons who will be deciding this expansion at the state Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) have any compassion for human beings and the environment, they will deny this expansion.If the DEC approves, then the person or persons who approve this expansion are nothing more than incompetent, uncaring-for-human-beings bureaucrats.I invite Paula Mahan and the DEC to move their offices next to the current landfill so they can wake up and smell the landfill.John KenneyClifton ParkMore from The Daily Gazette:EDITORIAL: Beware of voter intimidationEDITORIAL: Thruway tax unfair to working motoristsFoss: Should main downtown branch of the Schenectady County Public Library reopen?EDITORIAL: Urgent: Today is the last day to complete the censusEDITORIAL: Find a way to get family members into nursing homes Categories: Letters to the Editor, Opinion The town of Colonie wants to expand the current Colonie landfill to twice its size.At its current size, the landfill spews out horrible odors, unknown hazardous materials into the air and Mohawk River and adds unnecessary extra truck traffic to Route 9.The town of Colonie need this expansion due to the ineptitude of its government fiscal policies. The landfill is supposed to close at the end of 2017, but Colonie needs this revenue.Obviously the town has no concern about the environment or the health of the residents who live near the landfill.
Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
Turkey’s health minister said Monday that the country is using a drug sent from China on patients suffering from the novel coronavirus. “From this morning we have brought a special drug used in China which is claimed to have resulted in improvements in intensive care patients, cutting their time in care from 11-12 days to four days,” Fahrettin Koca told reporters.He did not give more information on the drug but the anti-malarial drug chloroquine has recently been used to treat coronavirus patients in China as well as France. While Koca did not detail where the positive cases were in Turkey, he said the virus had spread across the country.He did say there were fewer than 10 cases in Turkey’s Van province, which borders badly-hit Iran.He also said some health workers had caught the coronavirus, without giving figures.A further 32,000 health workers will be employed during the crisis, he told a press conference in Ankara.Koca also said that face masks produced in Turkey “will not be exported” as the country was in need. There had been speculation that Koca might announce a state of emergency, but he urged Turks to “announce their own state of emergency” as he insisted citizens adhere to measures already announced by Ankara.Turkish authorities have ordered those aged 65 and above and those with chronic illnesses to stay at home, while most public spaces have been temporarily closed. Topics : Some researchers have said chloroquine shows great promise, though scientists have agreed that more trials are needed to determine if the drug is really effective and safe.According to figures released late Monday, Turkey has officially recorded 1,529 coronavirus cases and 37 deaths.Koca said 50,000 rapid detection kits had arrived from China on Monday and had begun to be used, with 300,000 expected by Thursday.The minister added that the Chinese government agreed with Turkey to share information on the novel coronavirus as the two countries step up cooperation to fight against the pandemic.
Environmentalists say conserving existing forests and restoring damaged ones reduces the risk of flooding, stores more planet-warming carbon and protects biodiversity.Worldwide, there are about 5.5 billion hectares of forest.Countries that have pushed forward with their Bonn pledges recognize that natural solutions like forest restoration are key to meeting national policy goals such as cutting carbon emissions, and boosting land productivity and food security, said Maginnis.Earlier this year, the World Economic Forum – which dedicated its 2020 gathering in Davos, Switzerland, to climate change and sustainability – launched a platform to drive the planting of one trillion trees worldwide.It is backed by a host of public figures, including US President Donald Trump, a long-time climate change skeptic.’Decent’ jobsIn Asia, India is aiming to increase its forest area and green cover to a third of its total land area by 2030, up from about a quarter, as part of its commitment to reduce carbon emissions and meet pledges made under the Paris climate accord.China, Ethiopia, Malawi, Cameroon and Ivory Coast have also launched large-scale tree-planting efforts with some success.Maginnis said the reforestation drive could also support post-coronavirus economic recovery plans.Preliminary analysis shows that for every $1 million invested in re-planting forests, six times the amount of jobs could be created compared to stimulus measures in other sectors, such as the auto industry during the 2008 global financial crisis, he added.”There is a real potential efficiency in being able to create decent jobs,” Maginnis said.Methods used to make the Bonn Challenge a success will likely be replicated to better manage wetlands, rivers, mangroves and coastal areas in the next decade, he added.Former UN. climate chief Christiana Figueres, who oversaw the adoption of the 2015 Paris climate agreement, said the Bonn Challenge provided the evidence needed to mobilize greater investment in reviving forests.”We know that the climate change, biodiversity, health and economic crises have all converged,” she said in a statement.”The human, environmental and economic case for increasing global restoration action is key to restoring our future.” The world’s largest reforestation push, now almost a decade old, has beaten its 2020 target, as countries use their pledges to tackle national priorities including job creation, food security and climate change, researchers said on Wednesday.The Bonn Challenge – launched in 2011 by the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) and Germany – aims for 150 million hectares (371 million acres) of degraded forest land to be under restoration by 2020 and 350 million hectares by 2030.Already, 61 nations, eight states in Brazil, Mexico and Pakistan, and five environmental groups have made non-binding commitments to restore more than 210 million hectares, about six times the size of Germany, according to an IUCN progress report. Stewart Maginnis, global director of IUCN’s Nature-based Solutions Group, said the challenge had proved successful because it was about “problem-solving”, not just tree-planting.”Part of the secret sauce is that it has got a relevance to other parts of the economy and other sectors at national level,” Swiss-based Maginnis told the Thomson Reuters Foundation.For every $1 spent on forest restoration, at least $9 of economic benefits are generated, said the report, estimating that nearly $76 trillion could be gained each year from addressing land degradation.In 2019, tropical rainforests – whose preservation is considered crucial to curbing climate change – disappeared at a rate of one football pitch every six seconds, according to data from monitoring service Global Forest Watch. Topics :
Aisling Moloney knows it will be equally tough against the Northerners.Tipp FM’s live coverage of this Sundays All Ireland Intermediate Ladies Football Final between Tipp and Tyrone comes in association with Klassy Lady Boutique, Cahir. Tipperary are putting the finishing touches to their preparations for this Sunday’s All Ireland Intermediate Ladies Football Final.The Premier County take on Tyrone at Croke Park.Tipp needed extra time to see off the challenge of Wexford in the semi-final. Photo © Twitter Tipperary Ladies Footballers
Suspended Golden Arrows coach Clinton Larsen watched from the stand as his Golden Arrows team surrendered the lead in a 1-1 draw at Ajax Cape Town.A careless clearance from Ajax goalkeeper Brandon Petersen gifted Lerato Lamola the goal that gave Arrows a half-time advantage.South Africa centre-back Rivaldo Coetzee equalised four minutes into the second half with an unstoppable header off a corner,Polokwane City and neighbours Baroka played a 0-0 draw in a derby that never reached great heights.Kaizer Chiefs, the most popular and successful South African football club, debut Sunday away to Bloemfontein Celtic. Both clubs are among the media favourites to win this season the richest national league in Africa with a 10 million rand ($760,000/650,000 euros) first prize.Victory took defending African champions Sundowns to the top of table, ahead of AmaZulu, Cape Town City and Orlando Pirates on goal difference.Tapelo Nyongo converted a penalty three minutes from time to give AmaZulu a 1-0 home win over Free State Stars in Durban.AmaZulu finished well down the last second division table, but bought the franchise of promoted Thanda Royal Zulu for a reported 40 million rand.Innocent Maela: debutant, assist, man of the matchMicho’s Pirates get winFormer African champions Pirates made a winning start under Serb coach Milutin “Micho” Sredojevic by edging Chippa United 1-0 in Soweto.A powerful close-range header from Thamsanqa Gabuza on 37 minutes settled a match in which Chippa took 81 minutes to get a shot on target. “There are so many things that needed to be improved,” admitted Sredojevic about a club that have experienced two trophy-less seasons. Johannesburg, South Africa | AFP | Denis Onyango’s Mamelodi Sundowns defeated SuperSport United 2-0 Saturday to extend a South African Premiership winning streak over their Pretoria neighbours to seven matches.Sundowns have won home and away against SuperSport for the past three seasons, including a 5-0 thrashing last year.Goals either side of half-time from Hlompho Kekana and Themba Zwane settled a high-profile first round fixture between the co-tenants of Lucas “Masterpieces” Moripe Stadium.SuperSport lost captain and South Africa midfielder Dean Furman 15 minutes from time after a second caution earned him a red card. Share on: WhatsApp
Submitted by The Washington Department of Fish and WildlifeDiggers will have plenty of opportunity to put razor clams on the Thanksgiving table during a week-long dig that begins November 20.The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) approved the opening, which runs through November 26, after marine toxin test results showed the clams are safe to eat. No digging will be allowed before noon.“Diggers can fill their buckets right up until the holiday,” said Dan Ayres, WDFW coastal shellfish manager.Ayres noted that diggers are required to keep the first 15 clams they dig under state law. Each digger’s clams must be kept in a separate container.WDFW has razor clam recipes as well as advice on digging and cleaning clams on its webpage.Digging days and evening tides during the upcoming opening are:Nov. 20, Thursday; 5:06 p.m., 0.0 feet, Long Beach, Twin HarborsNov. 21, Friday; 5:45 p.m., -0.5 feet, Long Beach, Twin Harbors, MocrocksNov. 22, Saturday; 6:24 p.m., -0.8 feet, Long Beach, Twin Harbors, Mocrocks, CopalisNov. 23, Sunday; 7:05 p.m., -1.0 feet, Long Beach, Twin Harbors, MocrocksNov. 24, Monday; 7:47 p.m., -1.1 feet, Long Beach, Twin HarborsNov. 25, Tuesday; 8:32 p.m., -0.9 feet, Long Beach, Twin HarborsNov. 26, Wednesday; 9:19 p.m., -0.5 feet, Long Beach, Twin HarborsThe best results typically occur one to two hours before low tide, Ayres said.All diggers age 15 or older must have an applicable 2014-15 fishing license to harvest razor clams on any beach. Licenses, ranging from a three-day razor clam license to an annual combination fishing license, are available on WDFW’s website and from license vendors around the state.WDFW also has proposed another dig in early December, tentatively set to begin Dec. 3 if marine toxin tests are favorable. That dig is tentatively scheduled on the following dates, beaches and low tides:Dec. 3, Wednesday; 4:14 p.m., -0.1 feet, Long Beach, Twin HarborsDec. 4, Thursday; 5:02 p.m., -0.6 feet, Long Beach, Twin HarborsDec. 5, Friday; 5:45 p.m., -0.9 feet, Long Beach, Twin Harbors, MocrocksDec. 6, Saturday; 6:26 p.m., -1.0 feet, Long Beach, Twin Harbors, Mocrocks, CopalisDec. 7, Sunday; 7:05 p.m., -0.9 feet, Long Beach, Twin Harbors, MocrocksDec. 8, Monday; 7:44 p.m., -0.6 feet, Long Beach, Twin HarborsDec. 9, Tuesday; 8:21 pm, -0.2 feet, Long Beach, Twin HarborsA WDFW video, which demonstrates how to teach your kids to harvest razor clams, is available online. Facebook45Tweet0Pin0
Sailboats will add to the landscape of Kootenay Lake this weekend as local club plays host to the Nelson Cup Regatta.“The Organizing Authority is the Kootenay Lake Sailing Association,” said the Notice of Race flyer.“The race will be governed by the ISAF Racing Rules of Sailing. . ..”The race, expecting boats from Kootenay Lake, Balfour and Crawford Bay, is held on Kootenay Lake between the Government Wharf at the foot of Hall Street and the Big Orange Bridge.Registration is between 6-8 p.m. Friday at Ric’s Pub in the Prestige Inn and Saturday from 9-11 a.m. Saturday at the Government Wharf.Sailing instructions and class flags will be issued at the skippers meeting following Saturday registration.Sailing instructions may change some of the RRS so all skippers must attend. The course will begin from the start/finish line in front of the Government Wharf beside the Prestige Inn. There will be a yellow marker one kilometer stream (southwest) from the start/finish line and another yellow marker kilometer stream (northeast) which will be the windward/leeward turning marks for the keel boat divisions.The Nelson Cup Regattahosts three keelboat divisions — black for PHRF rate boats; greater than 170, blue for boats rated 171 to 215 and green for boats rated greater than 216 PHRF.If there is no BC Sailing PHRF certificate is held by the boat see:http://offshore.ussailing.org/Assets/Offshore/PHRF/High+Low+Mean+PHRF+Handicaps.pdfIf four or more register a Dinghy Division will also be included.Race are scheduled for noon to 4:30 p.m. Saturday and 11 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Sunday or until the last race of the day is completed.Saturday, captains and crew will be hosted by the Kootenay Lake Sailing Association at the Knotical Ball beginning at 5 p.m. at the Granite Pointe at Nelson Clubhouse.For more information see the Kootenay Lake Sailing Facebook Page at:https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kootenay-Lake-Sailing-Association/260697637334349
This Rowing BC sanctioned regatta is expected to attract competitors from Nicomekl, Vernon, Kamloops and Coeur D’Alene as well as Nelson Rowing Club members in singles, doubles, quads and mixed, juniors and masters events.The course is a 1000 meter distance located on the West Arm of Kootenay Lake, beginning near the Prestige Inn before finishing on the waters adjacent at Lakeside Rotary Park.Last yearNelson Sprints regatta hosted 65 rowers from Coeur d’Alene Rowing Club in Idaho, Kelowna Rowing Club, Shuswap Association of Rowing and Paddling, South Cariboo Rowing Club and Vernon Rowing Club.There were 22 races in the 1000-meter distance course.Please send the registration to email@example.com; or contact the NRC at firstname.lastname@example.org for further inquiries. The Nelson Sprints Rowing Race is coming back to Nelson Saturday on Kootenay Lake.